The Writer's Ink Challenge 2018


Hi guys!! I wasn't anticipating not being able to post last week, and honestly I'm pretty upset because I had some awesome posts scheduled, so this week I'm posting twice!! I will be posting again on Saturday on the (sometimes nightmarish) topic of nonfiction and novelling (I'm putting them together wut XD). In the meantime, Chloë @ Golden Feathers Silver Clouds nominated me for the Writer's Ink Challenge. Thank you so much, Chloë! I did this challenge a while back on my old writing blog, but some of my answers have changed since then, and this seemed like a fabulous opportunity to see how. Thanks for hanging around with my crazy posting schedule. Y'all are amazing. :)


Les rules:

Thank your nominator

Answer at least 8 questions about writing

Nominate at least 5 people


Les questions:

When did you first start writing?

Like, novelling writing? Or creative writing? Or just writing in general? Let's go with writing stories. So I actually just started to take writing seriously about three years ago this year. Before, I wrote stories for school, but I was never actually interested in the stories I wrote. They were more like assignments to get the grade I needed. I didn't start writing the stories I love until I was maybe eleven, and then it was a while after that before I started to get into novelling.

Have you always been interested in writing?

I wasn't always interested in writing so much as interested in stories. I was an avid reader as a kid (teacher credit to my mom) and my brother was always coming up with fascinating stories using toys and stuffed animals as puppets. As I grew through elementary, I had a softness for adventure games I'd play with my friends. We did a lot of orphan story games and WWII games where we were Jews running from the Nazis. Later I got really interested in film and wanted to be a director, but I didn't know how to properly structure a story for a screenplay, and so my interest in writing novels stemmed from that venture.

Why do you like writing?

I love the freedom it gives me to explore my imagination. I learn a lot about myself as I write stories, especially the ones that mean a lot to me. I also learn to understand others and how they think. Not only do I get to explore imagination in itself, but I also get the amazing chance to explore the world in reality. Writing has taught me to constantly look for inspiration and make a goal for myself to help make change. 

unsplash.com
What genre do you write in?

I've always loved fantasy, and so for a while that's the main thing that I wrote, and occasionally if I get a really tantalizing idea, I'll write it now. But for the past year I've been obsessed with exploring the science fiction and paranormal genres. I adore time space travel and magical realism for short stories and such.

Who or what motivates you to write?

Truly AMAZING literature written by genius authors motivates me to write. I look up to masters like Charles Dickens, Charlotte Brontë, and Jane Austen. For a more recent era, I'm really inspired my Madeleine L'engle and Rebbecca Stead. I also think Ally Carter and Lauren Oliver are pretty awesome. 

Do you ever write poetry?

Yup! I don't write it often, unlike how I have in the past, but I do love to pour out my feelings when I'm feeling particularly emotional. My poetry takes a lot of emotion to channel anything that makes sense, so usually I will spend a week writing raw thought line by line.

unsplash.com
Have you ever written a story with a friend?

I think I attempted it several times, but we never actually got past the first chapter. I have done super fun blogging activities like Wordcrafters, which is hosted by Allison over at A Farm Girl's Life, where a bunch of writers get together and weave an unpredictable story. 

How do you write your stories (first or third person, past tense or present tense)?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE experimenting with person and voice!! I literally include at least two completely different POV's in all of my stories as of late, but I have a preference for third person present with a subjective narrator. My second favorite is probably first person past. 

Where do you see yourself writing-wise in one month? One year? Ten years?

In one month? Slaving through Camp NaNo. XD And I know I said slaving, but I'm dramatic. I have an abnormally unpredictable story in mind and I cannot wait to write it because it rolls all my favorite elements into one delicious snack. 

In one year, I don't know. I will probably still be writing, maybe editing a couple of books, but I really can't say. It may or may not be as frequent because I'll be in college by then and I won't know how I'll be able to manage. But I will still be writing. 

unsplash.com


Les questions for you:

When did you first start writing?
Have you always been interested in writing?
Why do you like writing?
What genre do you write in?
Who or what motivates you to write?
Do you ever write poetry?
Have you ever written a story with a friend?
How do you write your stories (first or third person, past tense or present tense)?
Where do you see yourself writing-wise in one month? One year? Ten years?

Les Nominees:

Gray Marie @ Writing is Life
Lila Kims @ The Red-Hooded Writer
Ivie @ Ivie Writes

Y'all aren't obligated to do the challenge if you don't want to, but if anyone else would like to do it, just drop me a comment and I'll add you up there! I'm not too good at nominations. XD


Are you going to do this challenge? Who are your favorite authors/mentors? Are you doing Camp NaNo next month? What are your favorite voices to write in, and do you enjoy experimenting with them like I do? 

Smiles!
Nicole

8 comments:

  1. Yup... here comes NaNo. :P I'll be doing it for my first time. But from what I've heard, the word slaving should just about be accurate.
    I love this post, Nicole! It's such an awesome tag, with all those lovely questions about writing. :)


    Danielle | silverphoenixwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! 🤣 Good luck on Camp NaNo!! It's not nearly as stressful as November, but yep, slaving is definitely how it feels sometimes. XD
      Thank you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the tag! I can't guarentee I'll do it, but it looks epic. I just don't have a lot of time for tags at the moment, but thanks again! <3 <3

    Your answers were fun to read!

    ~Ivie| Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Ivie! Yeah, I wasn't sure who could be able to do it or not, so I added that no obligation note. XD <3

      And thank you again!! I'm glad you enjoyed. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for tagging me!! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fun one - thank you for tagging me, Nicole!!! I love how you were into film before you were into writing stories. :) SO COOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lila!! And yes, film was like this huge two-year long obsession. XD I still love it, but I don't play with it often. :P BUT I'M GLAD YOU THINK IT'S COOL!! :D

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram