Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter {Book Review}

 

So I know on my main page that all my featured images look a little bit funky, but it'll all be back to normal in a couple of weeks. XD I just gotta finish this slew of special posts before we get back to artsy synchronized photos. Also, I have to go out and do more nature photography for new feat. images. I've been procrastinating it for months now. Fun, right? How are y'all doing?

ANYWAYS. Today's book on review is Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter. Here are the details:


Genre: Romance/Thriller
Page count: 297
Publisher: Hyperion Disney
Publishing year: 2017
Back-cover synopsis:
Maddie thought she and Logan would be friends forever. But when your dad is a Secret Service agent and your best friend is the president's son, sometimes life has other plans. Before she knows it, Maddie's dad is dragging her to a cabin in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.

No phone.
No Internet.
And not a single word from Logan.

Maddie tells herself it's okay. After all, she's the most popular girl for twenty miles in any direction. (She’s also the only girl for twenty miles in any direction.) She has wood to cut and weapons to bedazzle. Her life is full.
Until Logan shows up six years later . . .
And Maddie wants to kill him.

But before that can happen, an assailant appears out of nowhere, knocking Maddie off a cliff and dragging Logan to some unknown fate. Maddie knows she could turn back- and get help. But the weather is turning and the terrain will only get more treacherous, the animals more deadly.

Maddie still really wants to kill Logan.
But she has to save him first. 



Why I picked this book:

Because I freaking love Ally Carter's books. Gimme more Embassy Row, please!! My soul shattered when it ended. Also I really like the color scheme but shhhh I'm not a shallow reader.

via unsplash.com
 
Content Advisory:

Usually, Ally Carter does a really good job at keeping her books cuss free. There was no bad language as far as I noticed; however, there were some instances when the main characters took the Lord's name in vain. The one thing that knocked this down half a star for me was a part where the main characters are lost in the woods and find a log cabin and it's so small they sleep with each other—which I could understand if it was survival driven—but I feel as if the instant was driven more by the romantic part of the story and not so much the survival part. That made me a little uncomfortable since they're teenagers and they aren't married. For gore, there was some blood, but nothing horrendous. I don't know, I actually have a medium tolerance for gore, so my opinion might be different from others. XD #raisedonLotR

4 stars


Characters:

I liked how Maddie was so wrongfully stuck on being angry towards Logan. I feel like that really drove her character, and as the tension built up, it gave her arc at the end a satisfying conclusion. Logan was okay too—he wasn't my favorite character, but he was pretty funny and I liked to see the two interact. I can't say that I even had a favorite character in this book. I had a hard time connecting with them. They were all pretty even in depth, but I was the most intrigued by Stefan and I wish his side of the story had been completed. The only thing that bugged me was how MEAN Maddie could be, but she felt remorse afterwards and honestly I think she was supposed to make me scream at her for how blind she's being, but oh well. Logan was just...a boy. I'll leave it at that. XD In short, I wasn't particularly attached to anyone.

3 stars


Plot/Structure:

I loved loved LOVED the opening scenes. Carter always does a superb job at drawing in the reader and that is why I love her books so much. This time, it was a little different because it depicts Logan and Maddie as younger versions of themselves and AWW THE FEELS they were adorable. The plot was actually pretty simple compared to what she's done in the past, but for a standalone, it was gripping and intense enough to help me fly through it in less than two days. It was kind of like Rogue One in between the Star Wars saga. The suspense had me on edge—not just the plot suspense, but also all the tension caused by those internal struggles going on. Also, the bridge scene was perfect. MMMmmmm I loved every part of that scene. Absolutely delicious. XD

4.5 stars


Style/Writing Quality:

Like I said, Carter's style is gripping and intense, perfect for constructing adventurous thrillers like this, while still adding the touches of romance to slow things down a bit and give the reader a break to breathe. Her writing isn't difficult to understand, and so that makes it really easy to slip into the action going on. Can we talk about her descriptions for a moment? UGH I love them so much. I've read the Embassy Row novels and Heist Society #1, and I'm almost done with Gallagher Girls and every. single. time she has blown me away with her descriptions! It's just so easy to imagine what she's describing, in both setting and action. Sometimes I have a hard time imagining what characters' actions look like, but I have never had that problem (that stands out horribly) with her books. This time she constructed a wintry wonderland of snow and ice and trees. I could almost feel how cold it was (probably because I was most likely freezing my tail off somewhere while reading it, but oh well) and I could smell the pine and hear the crunch of ice underfoot. mmmMMMmmm. Good stuff, people.

4.5 stars


Romance:

I don't usually have any issues with the romances in her books, but I just wasn't feeling it here. It felt a bit forced, probably because the story was so fast-paced. The background info helped ease it a little bit, but I still feel like it could have come off slower and still been cute. Ice doesn't melt all at once, right? It thaws. (AHAHAHAHAHA it's okay you can kill me for my sucky jokes.) Anyway, yeah, I wasn't digging it and when it moves so fast like that, I usually tend to just roll my eyes and skim so I can get it over with. Also content advisory as mentioned above, and ugh—too many comments about his lips and her lips and just yadayadayadaya can we please NOT? Teenagers are NOT this dramatic. At least I'm not, which is probably why I have low patience levels for this type of stuff.

3 stars


Afterthoughts:

All in all, it was a good book. It could have been better, but I was still treated to Ally Carter's genius in thriller and that satisfied me. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but I mean, y'all know how I rave about Embassy Row so nothing will ever beat that. (Except maybe Heist Society but I have yet to finish the series. The verdict is not yet settled! But oooooooh what do you think about a book battle?? Comment if you think that would be interesting!)

via unsplash.com

Overall rating:

4 stars (actually, 3.8 when I did the math but IT'S ALLY CARTER, Y'ALL. I'll round it off for her.)

★★★★☆

Have you read this book or plan to? Did you like it? Are you also a fan of Ally Carter? What's your favorite book? Let's make this a happy book chat! (Please keep the comments spoiler free!) If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them!

Smiles!
Nicole

9 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I’ll have to check this book out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gallagher Girls too!!! Such an epic series (though the romance did get kinda annoying at parts??). And then Embassy Row was a lot of fun too! I haven't read Heist Society, though. :))

    I definitely want to pick this up sometime and give it a shot. May have to save it for winter. ;D

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?! Ahhhhh the romance...I’m 1) still screaming at Cammie for breaking up with Josh and 2) still adamantly against anything to do with Zach. XD I’m just annoyed a lot with Cammie’s love life. Hopefully it all resolves at the end of the series. :P

      Reading it in winter would be so cool! I hope you enjoy it!

      Thanks! Glad you enjoyed! :D

      Delete
  3. I'll add this to my collection. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a cool book! <-- get it!? :D
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an epic series. I'll have to check this book out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram