Where I am now in 2020

background photo from unsplash.com
Before we get started, a few of you already know that *gasp* I moved away for college. So, yes, when I say on my Instagram story that it is snowing and it is freaking cold, no I am not exaggerating and being a classic Florida gal that says that whenever she sees rain in January. I moved across the country and now I'm living at school with five roommates and we're honestly having a blast. But also I've been doing a lot of...experiencing.

So here's a couple of rambles:

1) It is so liberating to live on my own, take care of myself, buy my own groceries and not have to share, go out to eat with friends if I want to because now everything is walking distance, and plan my own life on a day-to-day basis. At the same time, I sometimes miss the structure of having a routine with my siblings and doing everything together. It made us feel united and gave us opportunities to bond. I miss having movie nights on Fridays and fighting over which movie to watch, and I miss having someone to talk to any minute of the day, someone who I don't have to explain my life to because they live 80% of it. It's strange having to adjust and get to know new people, and yesterday I got pretty overwhelmed and decided to shut myself under my covers (thankfully my roommate was out of town for the afternoon) and just watch a movie by myself, without having to think of other people and what they think of me. It was nice, and now I'm ready to go back out and meet people and make connections. But I miss the connections I have that are so far away now.

unsplash.com
2) I've been living here for really only a few weeks, but I've already felt as if I've grown a tad. I also can clearly see how much more growing room I have to do. One thing about me is that I obsess over "catching up" and being "on-track," and right now I feel as if I have a lot of catching up to do in the maturity department. Everyone here is so much older than I am, and they seem so complete in terms of their spirituality (I haven't quit going to church just because I moved), their social awareness, and their intellectual ability. Sometimes I feel very small because I don't feel that confident in my ability to rely on God yet, and I want that, but I don't have it yet. I often feel like an inadequate conversationalist, like I can't communicate as efficiently and clearly as these young adults can. I feel self-conscious of my ability to think quickly and speak intelligently. Honestly, that is something I've always felt insecure about because I am not a witty person; I do not reply quickly with snarky and clever retorts and I do not speak before I've thought everything through. I like to think I'm a nice person, but socially and intellectually, sometimes I feel slow and dumb, like I should be moving faster. But I do see the room I have to grow. I'm like a new sapling in an established orchard.

unsplash.com
College is bringing out the worst and the best of me. It's made me think and feel insecure, but it's also motivated me to achieve and grow. Insecurities are not all bad, especially when we rely on God for help in overcoming them. That's something I'm trying to do. I believe in God, but I want to be fully committed to Him and willing to accept His help.

So there's my spiel. Now go. Discover yourselves. Be wonderful humans, and I'll update you on my activities. Also I might not be posting on Instagram for a few months since I don't have my nice camera with me or my nice books, but expect a lot of snapshots in my story (@wildpennings). Also, if you have any questions for me, you can DM me through Instagram, or comment on this post, or email me if you just want to be friends (wildpennings@gmail.com). And yes, I am putting my contacts up here because I honestly do not expect to be posting more than once a month on the blog, so stay updated through my other networking sources which are considerably less time-consuming to update.


I love you all and I hope you're doing fabulously! January can be rough.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, congrats on moving out. :))
    I wish you the best with your growth, it sounds like you're taking some big steps. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Grace!! You're always so kind. <3

      Delete
  2. I totally agree how insecurities don't always have to be a bad thing, especially when they help you grow! Your rambles are always to fun to read and I'm sending you warm wishes! You've totally got this. :) I hope you have a beautiful February! <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks, Ash! Thank you so much for the encouragement. I hope February was lovely for you too, and that you're enjoying your summer now!

      Delete
  3. The independence of it all sounds nice! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great and now I really miss it since coming home. X'D Thanks, Skye! I hope your summer is going well!

      Delete
  4. Okay, but I SO RELATE to a lot of your thoughts in 2). I know how that feels. <3 And it's what prompted me to choose "maturity" as my word of the year. I don't think I've seen anyone else put my own struggle with that particular mindset into words so accurately before. You're not alone. <3

    Sounds like college is super exciting and lovely so far! I'm looking forward to moving to college myself come fall. Wonderful post, Nicole!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I"m seen this comment more than a year late, but I realize I never replied and just wanted to say that that is an awesome awesome word to have chosen! I hope that you reached your goal with it last year, plz let me know! <3

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram