Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys {Book review}


*Note: I'm still trying to figure out my featured images. Sorry they're so mismatched!*

Today I'm doing my first book review on this blog. I don't think I've ever familiarized any of my readers with my rating system, but basically I look at five different aspects of the book and then rate them individually. A the end of the review I'll average all of the ratings and give you my final opinion  that could range from one to five stars. Good? Great! Let's get started.

Today's book on review is Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. Here are the details:


Genre: YA historical fiction
Page count: 393
Publisher: Philomel Books
Publishing year: 2016

World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, many with something to hide. Among them are Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge en route to the ship that promises salvation, the "Wilhelm Gustloff." Forced by circumstance to unite, the three find their strength, courage, and trust in each other tested with each step closer to safety. Just when it seems freedom is within their grasp, tragedy strikes. Not country, nor culture, nor status matter as all ten thousand people adults and children alike aboard must fight for the same thing: survival.



Why I read this book:

I thought the cover was just kind of intriguing, plus it's one on my state's reading list. believe it or not I though it was about the Titanic or something but OH MY GOODNESS IT WAS MUCH MORE TRAGIC.

Cleanliness:


It was actually way cleaner than I can expect from young adult books anymore. There wasn't really any swearing, except for a couple of instances. There was no explicit content (thank goodness) other than the occasional kiss. There was smoking though, if that's a concern to any of you.

The last thing is that this was a rough book because of the maturity level. So if you're not comfortable watching WWII movies rated PG-13, then this probably isn't the book for you. There is a reasonable amount of violence and some implied tragedies towards the characters, particularly Emilia.

Other than that, I'd give this four stars on cleanliness.



Characters:

The main characters of this story are Joana, Emilia, Florian, and another character that nobody likes named Alfred. Joana and Florian had similar personalities, except that Joana seemed weighed down with regrets and duties. Florian was more of a fighting type of character. He doesn't want to get people hurt and chooses to leave them behind, but at the same time he's kicking himself for not taking them with him. So he has feelings which is beginning to be less prominent in books in this and other similar genres. While I liked them well enough, I wasn't dying over their personalities like WOAH and GAHHH and BEAUTIFUL.

Emilia. Oh my gosh from the beginning of the story I loved her character! She's super sweet, kind, and she has this really whimsical way of thinking that's sad and poetic at the same time, but doesn't bore you and keeps you thinking. Also, she's quite feminine and understands people!! Like, I don't think there are any other characters like her that make my heart just melt because she' such a sweet little smol person and IT'S SO FREAKING SAD WHY.

My first impression of Alfred went something like this:

Me: Oh, he's kind of quirky.
30 pages later
Me: He's so sheltered and a little penguin let's just pity the poor thing.
20 pages later
Me: He's SO RUDE to his mother. And really obsessed with this girl who apparently friend zoned him? Wee lamb.
2 pages later
Me: UGH GET A LIFE. I have no pity for you anymore you scheming, conniving, conceited sailor who isn't as smart as you think you are.
End of book
Me: *shakes head*

While I liked him less and less through the course of the story, and he just got more and more annoying, he was kind of the comic relief even though I'm pretty sure he didn't know it. Although he's not stupid, he's kind of blinded by Stalin's regime. Alfred was definitely unique though. I've never read a book that has that kind of POV before.

I feel kind of bad because I devoted a whole paragraph to Emilia and just a few sentences to Joana and Florian. But oh well. I'd say that overall the character development was pretty well-thought out, and I liked the contrast of thoughts on how the different characters considered the Nazi regime, but personalities could have been a little more diversified. I'd say three and a half stars.


Plot/Structure:

Because this was a historical novel based on a very specific event in history, the main plot was pretty strict to history. Already it was a tragic story but Sepetys made it more heartfelt. The structure was excellent—timing was neither too fast nor too slow, all of the clues fit together without hiccups, and the execution was flawless. There were a few instances where I was kind of confused due to Florian and Joana being so vague, but I figured it out in the end. I would definitely suggest this book as a possible role model if you write historical fiction.

4 stars.

Style/Writing Quality:

I found it kind of hard to slip into Sepetys's writing style at first, because she writes primarily using shorter sentences and quick descriptions. But after a couple of chapters I enjoyed it immensely. It brought a sense of urgency and seriousness to the story. Her descriptions, though usually just a couple of sentences, were effective at helping me imagine vivid scenes. Her writing flows beautifully! Definitely worth the read. And I cried!! A lot!! That book still haunts my soul and sometimes I spontaneously want to burst into tears when I see it on the library shelves.

4.5 stars.


Romance:

The great thing about this book in terms of romance was that it was very clearly stated as a side plot. Yes, it was obviously carried out, but it was not the main thing. It did not distract from the main plot because it was just between Joana and Florian so basically there was none of the crazy shipping and Battle of the Love Triangles going on. It was mellow, and bittersweet, and the best part? IT ACTUALLY WENT SOMEWHERE. LIKE, THAT NEVER HAPPENS. *dies*

I was not disappointed by some dramatic breakup that seems to be the YA trope. It reminded me a bit of Puck and Sean's relationship in The Scorpio Races, but definitely faster.

5 stars

Overall rating:

*calculators going off in background* 

★★★★☆



Great characters, great plot, great writing—go read it. Not to mention that it was emotionally moving. I finished it at church one night after youth group and I could only stare at the book. People kept asking me if I was okay. But I was obviously not!! Seriously!! Never ask that to a person hugging a book to their heart while they bawl their eyes out. Like, can we make that a constitutional amendment or something?? Cuz' seriously, books are tragic and historical books are even more tragic.

Have you read Salt to the Sea? Any favorite characters/scenes/feelings? Did you cry? Because that's an important question. If you didn't, you have less of a heart than I do and I don't have one according to one of my best friends.

Smiles!
Nicole


6 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet, but it looks interesting! Great job with the review - I like that you rated different aspects of it separately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting! And thank you very much. Im glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this, but it looks and sounds good! Great review. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fabulously written book! Thank you for your compliments! :)

      Delete
  3. I completely agree! This is such a powerful and well-researched book and I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, Zoe!! Definitely well researched (which I seem to have forgotten to mention. Thanks for adding that!).
      Thank you for your comment! :)

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram