Featuring a Camp NaNo tag I stole off a random website


We all have those moments when we decided to ditch that epic draft for the time being in place for a much easier-to-write tag. I thought since Camp NaNoWriMo is right around the corner, I could spill the tea on what I'm writing this year and some other camp NaNo jazz. also I have to go babysit for heaven-knows-how-long very soon and I don't have the time to finish that epic post I originally was panning on posting today. :[)

I stole this tag from Mandi Lynn's website/YouTube. (Actually it was the NaNoWriMo tag, but I took the liberty of making it Camp NaNo themed.) You can view her post here!


The Questions:

1. How many times have you done Camp NaNoWriMo?

I have done Camp NaNo four times, so for two years now. #veteran

2. How did you first find out about Camp NaNoWriMo?

I first found out about Camp NaNo through other blogs and the NaNoWriMo website. I think I stumbled across it for the first time when I was like ten, but at that time I had no interest so I basically forgot about it for a few years before creating an account and realizing something about that little cabin homepage was vaguely familiar...

3. What was the name of the first novel you attempted with Camp NaNo?

*drum roll*

DIVIDED.

You can see my summary of that story over here. That is actually my favorite story that I've worked on, and not surprisingly the only one I finished (but not in April; that's too much to ask from me X'D). It never expanded enough to be a novel, but I am working on edits and hopefully it will finally bridge 30K words after a year on the draft pile.

4. Give us a 1 sentence summary of what you’re writing this month.

A paper about the effects of nature on human development in aspects of psychological and physical health.

So yes, homework.

5. What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever been given?

HA. I don't try to give writing advice because I feel highly inadequate, but for the purposes of this tag, I'll list a few wise words, you choose which are best, and that will be the subject of my next blog post!
a) don't write exclusively fiction; also write nonfiction because it will help you develop your author voice.
b) master grammar and your first draft will automatically improve by about 10%.
c) put time into writing description really well
via unsplash.com
6. Did you ever take a year off from Camp NaNo? Why?

I have never! *gasp* I confess there are times when I should have, but I didn't for unmemorable reasons. I think doing Camp NaNo four consecutive times has contributed to 90% of my unfinished stories and I'll explain why: I never write just one project during NaNo. I'm ridiculous that way, because I jump back and forth and I have a hard time committing to one story for a month. So I'll start like three different projects and never finish any of them. The first time I did Camp, when I wrote Divided, is also the only time I focused solely on a single project for a whole month.

7. What’s your biggest inspiration when figuring out what to write?

I suck at sensing inspiration on what to write. X'D Most of the time it's just what I'm feeling most excited about the day before Camp starts. I've planned ahead for months and then randomly switched to a whole new project because I got sick of the old one. And that's basically the birth story of Divided.

8. Read us the first sentence from one of your novels.

Oh boy. Here we go.
Four white walls. A door. A mirror. Me.

-Divided, p. 1
9. Why do you love writing?

I love writing because it's the most exciting way for me to express my ideas and thoughts. I wouldn't say I have a natural talent for it, but I do have a natural affinity for it because I've grown up reading and thinking in words, not pictures or sounds like other people.


And so we come to the end of this tea-spilling tag. If you'd like to tag along (haha, pun there) then feel free to link me up in the comments!

What was the best Camp NaNo month you ever experienced, and why? Care to share the first line from one of your novels? And what's the best writing advice you've ever shared?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the first line of Divided!!!

    Ooo, yeah, the “take time to write description well” piece of advice is my favorite. Especially since I forget to write description 99.999999% of the time......

    Great post, Nicole! Good luck with Camp NaNo this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks!!

      Yay! Haha, same problem here. I always read through my first drafts and I’m AMAZED by how little description I actually put in them, lol. 😂

      Thank you!! <3

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram