Back to Classical || It's So Classic tag (Happy blog-birthday, Rebellious Writing!)


Before anything else, I want to thank everyone for supporting me and this blog in my previous post. I love you guys, and I'm very grateful to have the opportunity to be friends with you. <3

And now, I know I'm a tad late to the party, but Rebellious Writing has been celebrating their two-year blogiversary all month! In case you didn't know, Rebellious Writing is a website all about promoting clean YA literature. They came up with this lovely tag that has to do with classical literature and I just—!!!!—freaked out. Now I know the party is kinda supposed to be wrapping up now, but tags are eternal, right?


It's So Classic Tag


Rules:
1. Link your post to Rebellious Writing (www.rebelliouswriting.com)
2. Answer the questions
3. Tag at least 5 bloggers


What is one classic that hasn't been made into a movie yet, but really needs to?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I haven't done enough research on this. However, I would love to see an updated edition of A Little Princess.

What draws you to classics?

I love the complexity of the plots, yet they still feel tangible and relatable. I'm also a bit of a history nerd, so that whole historical element grabs me too.

What is an underrated classic?

An underrated classic is a piece of classical literature that does not receive the praise that it's few fans demand it deserves.
Just kidding. Is the Little House on the Prairie series considered classical? Let's say very few children of today have ventured into the richness that is those books.

What is one classic that you didn't expect to love, but ended up loving anyway?

Wuthering Heights was an interesting one because I started it, thought I would love it, then ended up appalled by every element. I thought I would finish it with burning revulsion in my heart, but instead I  ended up stamping it as "Prized Literature" and now I can't stop gushing about it.

What is your most favorite and least favorite classics?

My most favorite classic is probably Persuasion because it's romantic, dreary, and so different from other classics. My least favorite is The Adventures of Tom Sawer.
I'm sorry, I have a thing for British lit.

Who is your favorite character from a classic? Or if that is too hard, what is your favorite classic character trope (e.g. strong, silent, quiet sidekick, etc.)?

Favorite would have to be Sara Crewe from A Little Princess. She's absolutely adorable and I wish I had been smart enough as a kid to think of her as a role model.

What's a popular classic that you felt wasn't actually that great?

Gulliver's Travels? 80 Days Around the World?

via
Who is your favorite classic author?

Jaaaaaaaaaaaane Austen! If Emily Brontë had written more books, it would have been her. I don't think I've read enough Dickens to justify using that as an answer either, or it would be him because the BBC adaptations are literally my life force.

In your opinion, what makes a classic a classic?

Classics are timeless—they're stories that enchant you over and over again, but still ring with truth wrapped in contrast. I think most classics involve story-lines exploring human nature and the struggle of discovering oneself, and that appeals to people to all ages over and over. So classical is timelessness is enchantment is just a masked reality to explore.

Relating to newer books, what attributes does a book need to have in order to be worthy of the title "classic"?

Well, definitely not the crap getting put out on shelves today. Many books are so shallow, and the adventures are fun, but to be a classic it has to hold something deeper for an individual to discover. Once each reader feels as if a book was written to speak to them, then it can be nominated for consideration as a class, in my opinion.

I am quite unsure who to tag, so if you are currently reading this before sundown, tag! You're it!
 

So I'm currently finishing up the first week of the semester at school, and things are heating up. I am (and I say this very proudly) finally getting my act together and I am not behind on homework. So hopefully I can carry this habit out to the end of the semester. How is school going so far for you?

Alrighty, chat me up. How have you been faring, dear reader? And what are some classics you've read and loved, or didn't love? And don't forget to wish Rebellious Writing a happy blogiversary!

6 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this tag go around the blogosphere and I love it! Your answers are beautiful, Nicole...especially the one about what makes a classic a classic.

    I haven't read too many classics, but I totally agree about Sara Crewe from A Little Princess! That classic was one of my all-time faves growing up.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ash! ☺️

      Ahh, I’m glad you think so! It’s really such a lovely novel.

      Delete
  2. Oh, goodness, I totally agree about Little House on the Prairie! I think I'm one of three kids in my grade who have read it. . . . *tears*

    Loved reading this post, Nicole! (And you're never too late for a tag, even if the deadline is rapidly approaching! XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom read me the books when i was little but we’re currently re-watching the series and i’m just in awe of how fun it all is. *tears up with you* It’s so sad how basically no one in the next generation has read good books like those. 😔 Thanks for stopping by, Nicole!

      Delete
  3. Jane Austen is so good! I've had Wuthering Heights for a while, I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Austen fan! *high fives* If you love Austen, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Wuthering Heights! I hope you get the opportunity to read it soon.

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram