Did Someone Say NaNo? {Beautiful Books 2017}


Today I will be doing Beautiful Books, hosted by Sky @further up and further in and Cait @Paper Fury. My project this year for NaNoWriMo is called Shadowskin, and I'm slightly nervous (understatement of the century) because this is the first time I'm doing the full 50K challenge. O.o I've done the YWP in the past but this might be the last year I can do a huge challenge like this so I need to write while I can. *wails* #collegelifewilleatmealive
Where was this post going again? Oh yeah. 
Presenting my answers to Beautiful Books. 

What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?

Originally, Shadowskin was a concept I had for a snow queen retelling that I randomly wrote and might complete, but then I took the magic elements and created a new story for them. I've probably been working on the idea since July, but it was still evolving into what I have now. And then I found a certain picture on google and the story idea came out of that. (It's the big square one below.)

Describe what your novel is about!

Ugh...okay. It's about a girl named Hannah who lives in a fictional city called Jawai (don't ask why I called it that). She is trying to find the gray in between right and wrong, but has a hard time accepting the consequences of her wrong decisions. The common threats are creatures called skaads that are basically shadow demons that can take over your body and the only way to battle them is to wear shadowskins, which are pieces of shadows that morph into creatures. There's also a guy who is not from the city who is learning how to defend himself from the skaads and INTERNAL CONFLICT!!!

What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!

image credit to respective owners. quote by me.

Introduce us to each of your characters!
  
Hannah
Hannah is impatient, determined, and she kind of neglects the things that matter most. That's why she has family issues. Her moods shift drastically, and that tends to set the mood in a room. Other people's moods affect her too, so if someone else is angry she gets really angry. She can be kind though, and deeply repentant. Forgiveness is harder for her.

Eli
Eli is adaptive. Not just in lifestyle, but also in personality. He subconsciously changes how he reacts with different people to accommodate their moods and learn more about them. He believes in hard work, but can be prideful and an overly private person. He hides things as long as he can. He is kind, patient, and defensive of other people.

Ruby
Ruby is Hannah's younger sister, and although she is younger, she tends to be the more mature one who knows her responsibilities and takes care of them. She gets frustrated with Hannah a lot and has an obsession with glass (that's important). She is fiercely loyal to her family, but pride keeps her from letting them take some responsibility because she thinks she can handle more than is realistic.

Augustus
Augustus lives with his adoptive grandparents and their nineteen cats, which he frequently jokes about. He can be laid back, but he's a quick thinker and sharp observer. He acts on hunches a lot of the time instead of calculations, but he somehow is often right. On most days, he acts as a skaad tracker. He has a strange side occupation of selling beverages of different distilled edibles.

Darby
Darby is sharp, snarky, and a puzzle solver. She also experiments a lot with the glass products at her father's factory. She doesn't believe in using the shadowskin. Very down to earth, focused, and productive. She tends to hold herself apart from most people, studying them with cold indifference. She is very helpful and supportive of her friends though, except for when she disagrees with their choices.

*shrugs* They're still works in progress.

How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)

I save all my ideas for the very last minute and collect NaNo memes. I also make this my lock screen and create a very basic three structure outline. I kind of work on character sketches, but I like to figure them out as I write because its easier to mold their personalities to make my plot work.

What are you most looking forward to about this novel?

The fact that I have not written a new story world in a very long time, and this magic thing is seriously cool!! Like, I wish it were real. (Don't we all wish that?) I like the internal conflict I'm torturing my characters with too. That's my favorite part about characterizations. >:)


List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
  • Desert, salt flats, snowy mountains all together in 500 square miles
  • Two seasons that are either really hot or really cold
  • Dark nights when the skaads come out to hunt 

What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?

Haha...I can't really explain this without spoiling a whole lot, but basically Hannah wants to find her dad who left some years ago to build them a safer place to live. Unfortunately, she is impatient and he hasn't come back yet and she's trying to save money to find him, but her mom is ill and her sister needs care and her brother can't support them anymore because he is leaving and it's a mess and basically she's a terrible sister/daughter.

Eli wants to [SPOILER], but [SPOILER] stands in the way. *facepalm*

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?

She isn't so mean and blind and actually pays attention to important things and stops being so selfish and accepts her responsibilities. Eli changes from alive character to not so alive character. #LOL


What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?

Contrast is the main theme, and decisions we make are either good for us or bad for us, but never in between because light and dark cannot occupy the same space. Decisions always have consequences that you can't escape, good or bad. There's a lot of polar opposites and extremes, but I want the readers to feel like they learned something about decisions. Idk. I'm still figuring out if I want to pursue this when I finish the manuscript or not.

So there's my novel. What about you?

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? 
What's your project about? If you're not doing NaNo, what's your current WIP about? Let's chat in the comments!

Smiles!
Nicole


10 comments:

  1. OK, your book sounds AWESOME! *flails*

    Good luck on NaNo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh this sounds AMAZING. The plot! The world! The characters! Honestly I hope you have a lot of fun writing this because I'm super intrigued!! (Thanks for joining in the link up. :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cait!! :D I can't wait to get it all down on paper!!

      Delete
  3. From alive character to not so alive character... #Mood XDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you saying you're going to kill Eli? I feel like he'd be my favourite character. Also, I love the magic system and the skaads just sound creepy. good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeeeell...I never said that...but you get the general idea. XD Yes, the skaads ARE rather creepy. Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  5. This sounds so amazing!! This whole idea is really cool. I love it!! I'm not doing NaNo because it would probably stress me out right now. But, my project is a dystopian set in contemporary times. I always have a harder time explaining it. XD

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ivie!! Your project sounds cool too. :D And don't worry--My projects are hard to explain too. XD

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram