What is this FRACTURED I Hear I'm Writing??

 

Well that title was very disappointing. I was going to put "you hear I'm writing" but I've not actually told many people I'm writing it so that would be a lie. It's just me and my one-man fanclub!! YAY!! Anywho, I am currently writing a novella. I wasn't writing anything for a while, and instead I was working on developing ideas, but if you remember from my WIP page, I have another project called DIVIDED on there—well, it turns out that it was so much fun to write and I love the characters to death, so of course I have to write a sequel! I feel kind of bad about this, because no one other than Lydia has read it and so y'all have NO CLUE what I'm talking about, but bear with me. XD

 

Title: Fractured
Current Word Count: 4,014 (I know, it's still a wee baby of a manuscript)
Synopsis: ...

So I currently don't have a great synopsis, but here's what's on my Camp NaNo page.

 

Speaking of which, YES! I am doing Camp NaNoWriMo again in July, and FRACTURED will be my project. I am also struggling participating in the 100-for-100 challenge that Go Teen Writers hosts every summer, and so I decided to blend the two challenges for this project. ;)



So why a Divided sequel??

Usually I write deeper, a little bit darker stories full of tragedy and personal meaning. (The tragedy has nothing to with the personal meaning, by the way.) If you saw my post about NaNoWriMo 2017, I wrote Shadowskin which I must say was pretty intense because my first MC had morality issues and was ruining her family's lives, while my other MC was a cinnamon roll trying to keep her from ruining her family's lives. After that, I worked on a mostly secret project about a futuristic government with rebels and etc. so that was also intense, and then after that I tried writing Grey Skies which was also intense because of the fact that the plot was a mess and the themes were depressing. So I usually like intense.

Which means that I must have gotten tiered of intense, because Fractured is fun and impulsive and funny and creative and I LOVE the flexibility and the lightness of it all while still including those intense action scenes and BETRAYAL y'all I like betrayal. It's like my personal playground for all those cute yet embarrassing scenes that don't fit in my other projects.

Since we have no idea what you're talking about, can you describe the basics of the story?

The characters are Ginger, Will, and Grace. Ginger and Will are 19 and 20, and Grace is 14.  They're all so diverse (Ginger is African American, Will is British, and Grace is your All-American New Jersey gal) and that makes them a really fresh cast to work with in my head, not to mention how their personalities all clash to some degree and yet they still get along. I love the trio, because we have the lovebirds over here, and then there's third wheel Grace who gets to make embarrassing comments. I have a lot of fun writing them. Samples HERE.

For setting, let's say that this is in New York City somewhere in the near future—think years 2090-2100. I wanted to retain a familiar setting while still giving it this futuristic vibe with all the timespace-travel sciences going on. FRACTURED takes place a little more than a year from the ending of DIVIDED.

The plot goes something like Will invents another time machine that can toss him into the near future, allowing for a person to set up a situation in a way that will end in the best possible outcome. His colleague, Marina, uses that to her advantage for a mysterious reason and Will tries to stop her. They get stuck and Ginger and Grace have to go hunt down Marina's boyfriend to figure out this mess and save them before they get stranded in timespace.

How are you writing this? It sounds like a mess.

So I've been thinking about the story for MONTHS. I finished writing DIVIDED last year in August, and I've been thinking about a sequel since June 2017, which means I've been trying to figure this out for almost a year. I've been working on it off and on, but crazily, the story is one that has stuck with me for that long and I feel like now is the time to write it.

Now, USUALLY I am a loose plotter. But for DIVIDED, I kind of just winged it, and that is exactly what I'm doing with this one. It just feels natural for the story. Ginger is a very impulsive character, which is almost completely opposite of me, so I feel that if I am to write her realistically, I better get loose. Also, this is my playground. I have room to run and change it. Just as the story has stuck with me, it's grown with me, and I want that to be written all over the paper by that time it's done.

So why do you keep writing DIVIDED and FRACTURED in all caps? 

I just think it looks more dramatic. Feel free to write it like a normal person. XD

Snippets?

Of course! DISCLAIMER: these are from my first draft, so they are likely to change. ;)





My brain at it's finest.


BABY WILL!!! 



That is all for today! I will try to post on Saturday, but I have a company over, so you might see two posts up next week if it doesn't work out. Thanks for reading!

Have you ever written a story that you adored? Do you have a favorite cast of characters that you've written? Every get tired of your norm and break out of your shell? Feel free to spill! I wanna know all about it. <3

Smiles!
Nicole



2 comments:

  1. Your note to yourself reminds me of the one's I write to myself in my book, I'm glad I'm not the only one. XD

    THOSE SNIPPETS THO,,,,,, This book sounds EPIC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I have WAY TOO MANY of those tossed around the story. XD they’re basically there to just remind me where i’m going with my story. LOL, i’m glad to hear i’m not the only one either!! I was startingg to think i was crazy. 😂😂

      AWWWWW THANKS!!! :D

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram