2018 Wrap-up + best of 2018

 

It's finally 2019! It doesn't feel much different from 2018 to me, but a new year always has some sort of surprise in the future. So I thought maybe this would be a good time to highlight some of my high and low points of 2018 and then get into best reads of 2018, similar to a post I did last year.

HIGHLIGHTS OF 2018
  • I took a trip to Washington DC for the first time with my family. We decided to tour the Smithsonian museums and some of the government buildings, and it was so so so cold. and cool, but mostly cold. Literally it was like 17 degrees outside and we decided to walk to all the monuments. O.o However, I loved riding the metro everywhere; that was super fun. :D
  • I went to prom! First time, and it was super fun. My mother made this fabulous dress for me since we couldn't find anything cheap enough or worth altering. Prom was also my very first date. O.o So...I guess this is a sign I'm growing up? XD
  • Girls camp in the summer was super lit but also extremely challenging. I went as a junior counselor for the first time and lets say that things didn't exactly go to plan, but I learned so much out of that experience, especially how to love people and not judge them.
  • Youth conference to Palmyra, New York was also an amazing journey. I made a couple of new friends, and while the trip was mostly the bus ride up there, seeing the sights was like a spiritual bolster that I really needed. 
  • Starting dual enrollment classes was also a major highlight for me. I loved my first semester, especially my English class and my math class. I set ambitious goals for this year education wise, and now I'm on a pretty good path to college. I just have to keep my grades up this year. ;)
  • I took the ACT three times, and the second time they lost my test scores (>:[]) but I let it slide since on the third time I finally reached the score I wanted. :D I was actually pleasantly surprised because I got higher than I had expected. (Grateful for that timer breaking during the science portion!)
  • I binged way too much Merlin last year, guys. Way too much. 
  • My brother left on a two-year church mission. I'm super excited for him and proud of him too, because I know it's been a difficult year for him, but seeing him happier than he has ever been in his life is worth letting him leave. <3 
  • I would say that my mental health has improved a lot this year. I'll talk about that more in a future post, but for now let's say that the worst phase I had was way back in the summer. Since then, I haven't fallen into any depressed stage for longer than a couple of days. :D

BLOGGING RECAP

Wild Pennings reached thirty-eight subscribers this year! That may not seem like much, but it's a lot to me. Hopefully this year we can grow our little club some more. :)

The two most popular posts of the year were...



Five Struggles of a Blogger with Online Social Anxiety, with 14 comments and 125 pageviews, and 10 Middle-Grade Books YA Readers can Enjoy Too, with 22 comments and 117 pageviews.

I did my first collaboration with Lila Kims @The Red-Hooded Writer. We shared our experiences about pantsing and plotting our stories, and how it affects our writing. You can read Lila's post here and my post here. Thank you for working with me, Lila! :D

I started an Instagram account for Wild Pennings! You can check it out through this link or see my feed scroll by at the bottom of the home page. :)

Wow. I reviewed only four books this year...hmmmm. I don't know how I feel about this. I'll have to up that number this year and out-do myself. XD

Thank you for a wonderful 2018 of blogging! This blog would literally not exist without you. I've almost given up several times, but reading your comments and interacting with you guys motivates me to keep writing and expressing myself through blogging. Cheers to another year! :)


And now that highlights are out of the way, it's time for—*drum roll*—best of 2018!


Best Series:

Why does it not surprise me that it's another Ally Carter series. Y'all know how I rave about her books but this one maybe beats them all. I love how the series is written episode-style, so it's better of your read them in order, but it's not impossible to grasp if you read them out of order (like me, oops). I also loved the characters; they were stereotypical, but they fit the flow of the story well and made it fun and cozy. I wasn't a fan of some factors, but I honestly could not figure out half of hte plot twists. So if you like a twisty, unpredictable, mysterious action story, this is for you.


Best Standalone:


Not too much romance, and plenty of family bonds and history. It was slow but enchanting and I loved every second. Most importantly of all, this book made me think and feel. You can read my full review here.


Best re-read:


I learn something every time I read this book, and I'm glad I read it again. I was at camp and going through a rough patch emotionally and needed a pick-me up. Reading this book reminded me how to care about other people and see the good qualities behind the surface. Later in the year, I bought a second copy just because mine is so worn. ;)


Most intense book:


I don't remember the titles of many books that set me on edge, but hmm...The Alex Rider books always give me a thrill. So let's say Point Blanc. Honestly loved the action and suspense and it's been so hard to find good action books lie those.


New Genre:


I don't know if this counts as a genre...but I have officially fallen in love with The Silver Eye web-comic by Laura Hollingsworth. Definitely one of the best things I've discovered this year, but it's agony to wait for a new page each week. I guess that's why there's binge-reading. XD

The characters are complex and relatable, and somehow she manages to make me love every single one of hte,, even the villains, who I SHOULD be hating. D'X The story is an epic fantasy. which I haven't read much of for a couple of years, but this really helped me engage back into that genre. Also the artwork is just gorgeous.


Least favorite book:


I didn't have any issues with this book about the story or the characters or the cleanliness. In fact, there really isn't any major reason why this book is on here other than the author repeated Ryan's name about every other sentence and it drove me nuts. I honestly couldn't finish it because I was so aggravated. Mentioning a character's name more times than necessary is a pet peeve of mine, especially when the character is the only one in the scene. It is middle-grade, so if you want to read it, the story wasn't bad and the characters were okay. The thriller part was taking too long for my taste, but ugh. No. I cannot handle the name thing. Thinking about it makes me slightly riled. X'D


Favorite Classic:


I think the only classic I can remember reading this year was Wuthering Heights. As much as I hated the characters, I loved the story and the ending was an unexpected surprise. Also Emily Brontë has the most beautiful story-telling voice.


So I want to know how your 2018 was! What did you accomplish? What did you enjoy most? What books did you read and what places did you travel to? 

Smiles!
Nicole


10 comments:

  1. AAAHHHHH THE SILVER EYE IS AMAZING!!!!! Who’s your favorite character? Mine would have to be Apen.... :)

    Sounds like you had a great year! Here’s to another great one for Wild Pennings and yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my favorite character is either Bhatair or Melete, but Apen is adorable! He’s my sister’s favorite character. 😂

      Thank you! Have a great 2019 toyou, too!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like 2018 was a beautiful year for you. <3

    I relate to having a couple-days spurt of bad mental health every now and then. I'll pray for you. <3 For me, a lot of it boils down to not connecting with God and being distracted by worldly things or life's curveballs. (So I could use prayer for faithfulness in prioritizing my relationship with God...)

    I REALLY need to read Heist Society! :D

    It was sooooo fun collabing with you! Thanks for reaching out about that. <3

    YESSSSSS Alex Rider!! Those are VERY intense books, for sure.

    Have another epic blogging year! And an epic year in general. :D

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lila! Yes, I've noticed the same thing with myself about mental health somehow coordinating with how focused I am on Christ. I usually end up praying more frequently and studying my scriptures more intensely than normal. :)

      YES please do read Heist Society! It's the BEST! XD And when I finish the Alex Rider series, we can chat about that one too. ;)

      Thank you, and I wish the best for you too! <33

      Delete
  3. ahh Ally Carter! I've heard SO. MUCH. about her books and I can't wait to read them someday! I'm glad you had such a good 2018, Nicole! <3 (and hey, if you ever want to collab with me, I'm certainly open! :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soooooo good!! I should rave about them more often. #overload X'D I would suggest starting with Gallagher Girls, but if you like something more intense, definitely give The Embassy Row novels a try. :D
      I will definitely keep your collab offer in mind! Thank you! <3

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good year. Watching Merlin is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Silver Eye was something I stumbled across. I binge-read it and now I'm losing my mind. *headdesk* the CLIFFHANGERS every week. XD

    Happy New Year, girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHH I KNOW! I'm just so confused about everything at this point. XD
      Happy New Year to you too, Danielle! <3

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram