Breakfast Meals I love for College

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
via unsplash.com
I love breakfast foods, but I'm not a fan of cooking large breakfasts. It's really hard for me to wake up and make a plate of waffles or pancakes from scratch and fry bacon because I really just need to get going with classes or work as fast as I can. I prefer lighter breakfasts that are easy, quick, and still filling to get me moving in the morning.

Many of the items in my morning college menu are mix-and-match foods and things I cook in advance and freeze. The combinations I'll talk about in this post are what I personally enjoyed pairing together, but feel free to mix it up! After I show you what I enjoy eating, I'll show you a few meals that I'm excited to try that will help my diet become healthier and more nourishing!

1. Chobani yogurt cup + Grapenut cereal

I love Chobani yogurt in the morning because it's light, easy to grab, and delicious. Yogurt is typically very sugary, and (according to the internet) most yogurts with over 17 grams of sugar per serving do you more harm than good. I like Chobani because each serving only has about 15 grams of sugar. Greek yogurt also has probiotics and live cultures, along with protein and calcium which works great for me since I don't enjoy drinking milk. For morning carbs and to make my meal last a little longer, I like to mix Grapenuts cereal into my yogurt. Usually I grab this before I leave to work early, but if I have time on a lazy morning, I'll pair it with a quick side of scrambled eggs.

2. Mini bagels + cream cheese spread + kiwi

I adore toasted mini bagels, especially paired with cream cheese. I prefer plain cream cheese but sometimes I'll use a veggie spread or chives and onions. The mini size gives me enough carbs to get going, but also helps me feel like I'm not overdoing it. I'll often slice a kiwi in half and eat the fruit with a spoon, or I'll switch it out with a tangerine. I personally hate bananas, but that's another option that would pair great with this light breakfast! This is another meal that if I have time for, I'll serve with a side of eggs, or I'll add some extra fruit.

via unsplash.com
3. French toast or pancakes + peaches

Yes, I did say that I don't cook big breakfasts in the morning, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy making a large batch of pancakes or French toast for dinner on a Sunday or Monday night. ;) I'll freeze the leftovers to eat later in the week, and breakfast becomes an easy grab for a flat of carbs, paired with a nice fruit like frozen peaches or blueberries. I could just buy a box of Eggo's, or frozen breakfast meals, but it's much healthier and cheaper to make it myself.  Plus it's a simple and fast solution when I'm craving a slightly fancy breakfast before rushing off to class.

4. Cereal 

In terms of easiness and quickness, nothing beats cereal. However, I try to stay away from super sugary cereals such as Lucky Charms and Fruit Loops because they tend to leave me hungry even after a large serving. My personal favorite cereal is rice and wheat flakes with dried strawberries. I call it strawberry flakes, but I think Kellogg markets it as Special K? I usually opt for the equally delicious, off-brand version. ;) For healthier options, I really like corn or rice Chex. Kellogg cornflakes are another healthy option on the mornings I'm in a hurry.

via unsplash.com
5. Oatmeal + berries

I used to HATE oatmeal—but now I a bowl of quick oats loaded with frozen blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries is my favorite breakfast. My personal recipe consists of 1/2 cup quick oats (cooked according to the microwave directions), 2 tbsp of brown sugar, and 1/3-1/2 cup fruit. Like I said, I love it loaded. 2 tbsp of brown sugar may seem like a lot (my mom thinks it is), but you could always adjust the recipe to your liking. :) Other toppings I enjoy are diced apple, fresh strawberries, and maple syrup instead of sugar.


Breakfast foods I'm excited to try!

1. Egg muffins

I look forward to having more time next semester to make meals in advance, and egg muffins have really caught my interest. I don't eat a lot of meat when I'm at school, so I want to fix that by adding more eggs to my diet. They just look so easy, freezable, and versatile! And you know I'm all about easy and freezable. XD

2. Breakfast smoothies

Hopefully I'll be able to get a smoothie blender when I go back in the fall, because I really really want to try breakfast smoothies. I love how light and nutritious they can be, especially since I have a hard time eating my daily servings of fruits and vegetables. I'm especially interested in trying strawberry and mango smoothie combinations.

via unsplash.com
3. Toast

We all know that the avocado toast trend is the go-to toast recipe, but I actually strongly dislike avocado unless it's in guacamole. But I've discovered some really creative spreads and toppings to create a healthy and quick toast breakfast. I'm especially liking the sound of strawberry with yogurt spread and cucumber with hummus.

4. Potato waffles

I have an absolutely delicious potato waffle recipe, and I hope to be able to pre-make it and freeze the waffles. I adore potatoes, but I really don't have time to make them? Like anything with potatoes takes forever to cook, but if I can pre-make it and freeze it, then I'll be set for a couple of weeks with delicious, wholesome potato waffles I can pair with fruit or eggs.

via unsplash.com
5. Superfood platters

My goal is to eat more nutritiously next semester, so I want to try out some breakfast veggie platters with sweet potatoes, quinoa, and other superfood ingredients. I have a few friends with great superfood recipes, so hopefully they'll help me figure out how to make these dishes a consistent part of my morning diet.

Alright, so what's your favorite breakfast? What ideas have you tried and loved, or want to try? Will you try any of these ideas?

In case you couldn't tell, YES, I am back form school for the summer! I'll be flying out again in the fall when classes begin again, hopefully on-campus. I'll have another college life post up later about my four month college experience and living by myself, if you're interested. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On another note, I finally fixed the comments! I'm not entirely sure why they stopped posting in the first place, but it had something to do with my theme glitching. A quick export and re-load fixed the issue. :) So now I want to hear from you! What have you been up to since I last posted? I've been trying to keep up with everyone's blogs, but I want to hear from you. What cool things have you done, and how are you coping with the virus? I know it's been really tough for a lot of us to not be able to interact with our friends and family like normal.


4 comments:

  1. Ahh, these sound amazing! You're making me hungry. Fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they made me hungry while I was writing this post, lol. XD Thank you, Abigail!

      Delete

Feel free to rant, fangirl, flail, squeal, etc. and I'll get back to you with just as much enthusiasm! I always reply, so check back often. Please keep your language cuss-free and no taking the Lord's name in vain. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Instagram